Friday, November 5, 2010

Reminiscing

"Mom, tell us stories about when we were babies." Brayden and Makenzie request this on almost a daily basis. Every time Lexi does something new or gets into mischief I tell them if they did the same thing when they were her age. Now they can't seem to hear enough about when they were babies. All of this reminiscing reminded me of something I wrote when the twins were about 10 months old. So hop in, buckle up, and take a trip down memory lane with me!

A Day in My Life Circa Spring 2008

7:00 am
The twins wake up and start chattering. Is it morning already? (Insert Mommy groan here.) Neither Andy nor I want to roll out of bed just yet. So we lay there listening to them for a bit. We’re not fluent in “baby-speak,” but we think their conversation goes something like this:

      “Are you awake?”
      “Yeah, I’m awake. What do you think is for breakfast today?”
      “Probably more mushy stuff.”
      “I’m tired of mushy stuff. That’s all we ever get.”
      “Yeah, I know.”
      (Silence for a brief moment)
      “What’s taking Mom and Dad so long to get us?”
      “I don’t know. Maybe if we make more noise they’ll get in here.”
      (In unison) AAAiiiEEEHH!!! MA-MA-MA-DA-DA-DA-DA. . . .

8:30 am
Andy makes Makenzie laugh as he playfully kisses her goodbye. I can’t think of anything I’d rather hear than her cute little giggle.

10:00 am
The twins just went down for their morning nap. I take the opportunity to enjoy a long hot shower and get ready for the day. As I put on my new capris and start accessorizing I think to myself, “Just because I’m a stay-at-home Mom doesn’t mean I have to be frumpy.” I feel fabulous!

11:54 am
The Hitter and The Spitter (as I am affectionately referring to them right now) have managed to get food EVERYWHERE, including in my hair and on my new capris! Is it really necessary to swat at the spoon every time it comes near? Or continuously blow raspberries that make sweet potatoes airborne? I don’t think so!

12:08 pm
My own lunch is now in the oven and my capris are in the laundry. I begrudgingly put on outfit number 2. So much for fabulous.

12:20 pm
Did you know that when you accidentally line a baking sheet with wax paper instead of parchment paper it has the opposite effect and makes a sticky, gooey mess? Oops. I guess I’ll have a PBJ instead.

1:11 pm
Brayden, Makenzie and I are crawling around the house playing Follow the Leader. Brayden stops, turns around and waits for his sister who is struggling to catch up. (She closely resembles a wounded soldier when she crawls, dragging one leg behind her and grunting all the way.) He gives her a big smile when she reaches him. My heart swells three sizes.

3:00 pm
The kids are finishing up their pre-nap bottles. As I am burping Makenzie she spits up all over my shirt. Time for outfit number three.

4:30 pm
Brayden is so snugly when he wakes up from his afternoon nap. I cherish these moments. Now that the twins are mobile, they never want to hold still, let alone cuddle with me.

5:04 pm
I just walked past a mirror. Apparently someone slobbered on my shoulder while I was holding her and someone else wiped his nose on my shirt. (Note to self: Invest in some shirts that camouflage slobber, spit up and whatever else comes my way. Think of them as practical rather than frumpy.)

7:15 pm
It’s bath time, which means it’s time for outfit number four: a raincoat and snorkel mask. Those twins can really splash up a storm!

7:45 pm
I kiss both kids goodnight and put them in their cribs. I never thought this day would end. But as they pull their blankets up close and smile back and me I can’t wait for the morning.

***
It's funny how a day 2 years ago differs so much from a day now. Stay tuned for A Day in My Life 2010 coming soon!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Cute post. I hear ya about the multiple outfits. I sadly don't even try to get all dressed up anymore because I know my outfit wont stay clean for longer than one hour. It is all worth it though.