Saturday, July 11, 2009

Birthday Bugs

Brayden and Makenzie turned 2 on Friday. This was cause for a buggin' birthday bash!

The Invite
The Guests
All of our guests were kind enough to wear festive bug antennae party hats.
Everyone, that is, except the guests of honor. They kept taking them off and throwing them. And they really didn’t want to sit still for this photo, either. Especially Brayden. He was trying to run away. I guess they were hungry and wanted some food. Speaking of which. . .

The GrubIn keeping with the bug theme, we grilled up some hamburgers and served them with:


  • Fried Worms (French fried onions)
  • Ants on a Log (celery w/peanut butter and raisins)
  • Worms by the Inch (grapes on toothpicks w/carrots)
  • Bumblebee Parts (olives and cheddar cheese leftover from the bumblebees adorning the salad)
  • Butterfly Wings (Doritos)
  • Chips with Cricket Dust (sour cream & onion chips)
  • Ladybug Blood (raspberry lemonade)
  • Beetle Juice (limeade)
The food was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. Note to self: next year keep it simple!!

Instead of birthday cake, I made birthday cupcakes for each of the twins. Makenzie got ladybugs marching to make the number 2.
Brayden’s were crafted to look like a caterpillar. They both had candles for antennae.

The HaulAndy and I gave the twins their presents as soon as they woke up. They each got their very own car! Note to everyone: this will not happen on their 16th birthday! They were both very excited. So excited that Elmo ended up face first on the floor, which is unheard of!
In fact, Brayden was so happy that he didn’t even care that I took a picture of him sporting some pretty crazy bed head.

After breakfast, we took them outside and let them play with their cars. They had a hard time “driving” them Flintstone style, however. They could go backwards but not really forward. So they ended up getting out and pushing their cars quite a bit. And Mommy pushed them. And Daddy pushed them. They even pushed each other a little bit.

The kids made quite the haul at their birthday party. They are definitely spoiled by everyone. Here are a few pics of them opening presents.




The After-PartyAfter the festivities were over everyone kept on partying. There was running, jumping, swinging, digging and sliding. There was even a little badminton action.

All in all, it was a fun day. I can’t believe my “babies” are now two-year-olds! Thanks to everyone who helped make the twins birthday a very special day!

3 comments:

The Noskers said...

You are amazing! I love the themed birthday party for the twins! (Just don't expect one for our child! :)) BTW, Happy Birthday Brayden and Makenzie. I am quite impressed with your cake decorating skills and creativity!! Looks like you all had a great time.

Mama Mimi said...

You are SUCH a great party planner! (Wanna help me with my block party! haha!) I cannot believe these two little ones are two! I just cant! What better way to start off their next year - than a bug party. You did a great job. ONce again I do not know how you do it all.

Shannon said...

You are so clever!! I love all the bug themed food and I bet it tasted yummy! Their cars look pretty cool. I think I might have ditched Elmo for one too :).
P.S. Holding out for a hero is a good song to clean to as well. I actually have the cd Bonnie Tyler's greatest hits. It has that and Total Eclipse of the Heart! Love it!